It’s so long since I worked for anyone but myself, I can hardly remember what it was like to work for someone else, let alone be in the politics and snares of a corporate environment. So as part of my contribution to Esoul here's what I love about working for myself:
- Not having to ask permission to create something new. When I dream up a new idea, I tend to just do it, so having to ask someone else (perhaps my boss) if it’s OK, would slow me down and dampen my natural enthusiasm.
- Being able to set my own hours, to work when I want to and to take some time off when I want to. I think the worst thing about working for someone else is having to “be there” when they say so. I would find that stifling and it would interfere with my natural rhythm.
- Being able to set my own Agenda, meaning today I will do this, and tomorrow I will do that. Waiting for someone else to set my timetable of tasks for me would be like being a child, waiting to be told what to do. I like to make my own rules.
- Being able to increase my income whenever I want to. Waiting to be granted a 2% pay rise once a year would be demoralising for me. I love to create my own income, even though sometimes it’s not as much as I’d like, I know that it’s up to me to change that, and I love to take that responsibility.
- Being able to choose the people I work with, and not have to put up with the politics which typically exists in the corporate world. That includes being able to choose the guests I serve too, so that I am only among people I know, like and trust, and our relationship is mutually beneficial.
How about you? What do you love about working for yourself?